All about us

Ronald Kettle’s father opened a funeral home in Brigg, North East Lincolnshire after selling a furniture shop in Bedford where he began making coffins.

Ronald bought Arthur R Watson, in Cleethorpes Road, Grimsby in 1931, renaming it Kettle Limited. Requiring more space, Ronald moved to larger premises further up Cleethorpes Road to allow room for masonry products and wood for making coffins.

Also as part of the expansion, Ronald acquired a garage on King Edward Street to house the funeral cars, although this was later sold as the council had plans for redevelopment.

In 1956, Ronald bought part of the building we now occupy on Granville Street as a garage to house the cars, but in 1961, Ronald purchased the shop at the other end of the building after it was put up for sale. This enabled Ronald to put everything under one roof. The premises officially opened in 1961 and still operates to this day.

Ronald Kettle eventually established funeral homes on Cleethorpe Road, Wellowgatand, and St Peters Avenue in Cleethorpes.

Kettle Funeral Home later opened a branch in Louth in 1989 by the then owner Michael Chevins. A majority of the funerals were looked after by Michael’s wife, Carol Chevins.